On Saturday, August 5th, the Tallahatchie community came together again to help the children Gear Up for Success for the 2023-2024 school year. Organizations across the county, both east and west communities, provided the much needed “gear” to start the school year in the right direction. Community members gave away much needed essentials including 400 uniforms, 200 backpacks, and over 550 books. Families were also supplied with:
- Pencil and paper
- Headphones, pens
This year, families on the westside of the county had an opportunity to sign up for free internet service.
“I thank you so much for letting me know about the back to school give away. I have these four girls, and I just couldn’t afford to buy all those supplies. This really helped me out. Thank you!”
– A Tallahatchie County Parent.
“TELA’s Back to School Expo is one of the best events hosted each year! So many families benefit from the donations and school supply giveaways. The Meek Foundation staff always looks forward to participating in the Expo and supporting TELA whenever possible.” Meg Sinvervo, Executive Director of the ED and Becky Meek Foundation.
“This is a true testament that when the people come together as ONE Voice, for ONE Community, it makes for a sweet journey! I am so proud to be working alongside this community and I look forward to many more successful Back to School Expos,” said Leigh Sargent, Executive Director, TELA.
TELA received over $6,000.00 in funding from local businesses and community members to purchase the uniforms and backpacks. We would like to thank the following partners for making this event a success.
- Thomas & Elizabeth Reynolds
- Sykes Sturdivant
- Mike P. Sturdivant
- Walker Sturdivant
- Dollar General, Inc
- Costco Wholesale, Ridgeland, MS
- MEEK Foundation
- Archie & Olivia Manning
- Charleston High School Class of 1971
- NCDO (National Charleston Day Organization, Cincinnati, OH Chapter)
- Judy Jablon
- Nichole Parks
- Gretchen Henderson
- First District of Tallahatchie County Association
- Save the Children – Mississippi
- Reading in the Park
- East Tallahatchie School District
- West Tallahatchie School District
- Tallahatchie County Library
- Town of Tutwiler
- Tallahatchie General Hospital/James C. Kennedy Wellness Center
- Sharkey – Hampton Lake Volunteer Fire Department
- ICS Head Start, Inc
- Charleston Community Center
- Emmett Till Interpretive Center
- Tutwiler Community and Educational Center
- Charleston Arts and Revitalization Efforts C.A.R.E.
- Tallahatchie County Election Commissioner
- Mississippi Tobacco Coalition
- Tougaloo College Delta Health Partners Healthy Start Initiative
- Tougaloo College Delta Health Partners Male Involvement
- Center for Population Studies, University of Mississippi
- Children’s Foundation of Mississippi
- Mississippi Department of Child Protective Services
- Tallahatchie County Sheriff’s Department
- Chuck’s Shaved Ice